Behind the name
Wangari Muta Maathai was born in Kenya in 1940 and was the first woman in East and Central Africa to earn a doctorate degree. While serving in the National Council of Women, she introduced the idea of planting trees with women’s groups and developed it into a broad-based, grassroots program. Through the Green Belt Movement, she has assisted women in planting more than 20 million trees on farms, schools and church compounds.
Wangari Maathai is internationally recognized for her work on behalf of democracy, human rights and environmental conservation. In December 2002, Professor Maathai was elected to parliament with an overwhelming 98% of the vote. She was subsequently appointed by the president to serve as Assistant Minister for Environment, Natural Resources and Wildlife in Kenya's ninth parliament.
This item will be prepared for the lucky recipient with the following:
- Sleek and eco-friendly Leber Jeweler presentation box
- Earthwise Jewelry® certificate detailing the item and describing the Earthwise Jewelry® Collection
- Jewelry care and ring resizing information
- Complimentary ring resizing within 60 days of purchase on most rings, see details
- Eco-friendly gift wrapping (upon request)
- Appraisal for items over $2,000 (otherwise upon request)
- Complimentary domestic USPS express shipping
Price subject to change.
Free Shipping via UPS Next Day Air.